This engaging and informative book reveals unknown but true facts about the prophetical books of the Bible. Rabbis have avoided many questions raised by the seemingly improbable events in these volumes. This book addresses these questions and takes an open and rational look at the episodes.
The book addresses provocative questions such as:
- What is the proper way to interpret the Torah?
- How does Maimonides understand the episodes of the Prophets?
- Did miracles such as the splitting of the Red Sea, the falling of the walls at Jericho, and the sun standing still for Joshua really occur?
- What assumptions cause us to misunderstand the Bible?
- Is there a biblical mandate prohibiting suicide?
- Does the Bible forbid ceding parts of the land of Israel for peace?
- Can children be punished for their parents misdeeds, and, if not, why does the Torah say that they are punished?
- Why does Shabbat begin at different times for men and women?
- Why did significant biblical leaders violate rabbinical laws? What really caused the adding of a day to holidays shortly after the time of Moses?
- Why does the Bible not always mean what it appears to say? Is it true that Judaism does not know what happens after death?
|Dimensions||7" x 9.75"|
|Publisher||Gefen Publishing House|